...so here's my chance to post some art on Mom's digital fridge. I never went to kindergarten and my school didn't have art class,
so I never got to experience the classic childhood "Art Gallery Refrigerator". My mom's my best friend but I don't get to see her
as much as I want to these days, so this blog is my way of getting to share with her my love for card crafting.
Thanks for visiting and happy crafting!

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tie-Dye and Sparkles

Hi! Popping in to post a birthday card I made for a coworker. She's in to the late 60s early 70s hippie tie-dye Grateful Dead era and not much into froufrou flowers and such, so when I saw a sheet of glittered tie-dye paper at Michaels I knew I had to have it.
I used a slightly oval card that started as a snowman's head that I found in the Christmas clearance at Michaels as the base and covered it up with the tie-dye paper, using the center of the paper where the spiral was nice and tight and I could get all the colors. =) Sooooooo pretty!

I didn't want to cover too much of it up, so for my lovely Hero Arts sentiment, stamped with VersaMark on a bit of Spellbinders acetate packaging and used Winter Wonderland embossing powder from Stamp-N Stuff, an opaque white with silver glitter in it. I did warp the plastic a bit... okay a lot, but I let it cool down under an acrylic block which helped get it flattened out enough. Yet another lesson learned! =) I used a Heather Ellis Pure Innocence image and colored her with Copics and popped her up over a strip of tie-dye ribbon I picked up at WalMart a couple months ago.
I stayed simple with my embellies, using a couple WOC Summer Blooms. The largest pearl I had looked a little too small once I had it on, so I filled in the gap around it with some Stickles that I brushed up along the flower petals. I am so addicted to glitter and sparkle now (I can't count the number of times I catch my inner crafty child thinking, "oooooooooooh, shiny!" LOL

I filled in the hearts in the sentiment with Ruby Red Liquid Pearls so I could hide the foam dots and decided to try to make some matching little heart embellies. I squeezed them out onto a craft sheet and let them dry, then Glossy Accented them to the card. After the first couple I got the hang of using just enough to keep a recognizable heart shape even after they oozed around and flattened out. (Euw, that sounds so gross! LOL) I did a really simple couple of circles on the inside and accented those with some Crystal Stickles and a few more hearts.

It's nice and colorful and girly but not too frou-frou, so I'm hoping it fits the bill =) 

Only one challenge for my card tonight--I'm posting it over at Hiding in My Craft Room where this week's challenge was "Freestyle". Nice and easy. =) haha

Hope you all have a really great weekend!  See you soon!

Happy Crafting,
Christy
  

1 comment: