...so here's my chance to post some art on Mom's digital fridge. I never went to kindergarten and my school didn't have art class,
so I never got to experience the classic childhood "Art Gallery Refrigerator". My mom's my best friend but I don't get to see her
as much as I want to these days, so this blog is my way of getting to share with her my love for card crafting.
Thanks for visiting and happy crafting!

Saturday, July 21, 2012

SAS4K DT Card: Animal Cards for Kids - What's Up Giraffe

Happy Saturday, my crafty friends!

Time for another challenge at Send A Smile 4 Kids and this one's another fun one for creating a kid's card: Animals!  Our sponsors for this challenge are Delicious Doodles and Stamping Dragon Designs who are offering 4 digi images so we'll have TWO random winners! Twice the fun! LOL

Our sponsors once again generously offered up some images to our DT members, and as I was surfing through Stamping Dragon Designs, this slightly rude giraffe caught my eye and this is what I chose to do with him:

Hee hee Love that tongue! LOL It reminds me of a favorite moment in the movie My Friend Totoro when the little girl and boy stick their tongues out at each other. =)   I colored him with Copics... actually I colored one image but didn't like the final blend from the E40s so I went with more red browns and I was much happier with this second image. Also, the practice for getting that blend on his forehead was very useful. I'm not sure I'm going to be coloring up too many realistically-drawn images, but it was a fun challenge from what has -so far- been my usual style.

I colored the sky the same way I did this Emerald Fairies image, laying in a relatively smooth base of blue, then using the colorless blender to pick up and push the ink into cloud shapes, then highlighting a bit with C00, C0 and C1. It takes several passes, but I don't have an airbrush, which is probably my favorite look I see on other cards. And as my image was printed on an inkjet this time, I didn't want to risk a Distress Ink sky bleeding my image lines even though I'd heat set them with a Ranger heat tool. I layered my image and inked all the cardstock edges with a combination of Scattered Straw and a touch of Walnut Stain here and there, which nicely mimics the giraffe skin pattern.

I randomly cut out a tree branch from brown cardstock and used a CC Cutter, Leafy Branches, for the leaves, dabbing them with Shabby Shutters and Peeled Paint DI. There are some very tiny foam pieces in there to help keep the dimension. I like the effect and hope to use that again. =)

I layered a tan grosgrain ribbon over a sheer brown that tied into the background paper and added pearls, chocolate on the ribbons and champagne in the corners. Last I added my sentiment which I created in Word.

Hope you are feeling inspired to pull out an animal image of your own and get creating... there are lots of fantastic creations by my Teamies over on SAS4K so be sure to stop by!

I'm linking my card up to
Inspire Me Fridays - #68 Anything Goes
Ruby's Rainbow Challenges - #33 Cute Animals (he's not soft and cuddly, but that tongue makes him cute to me!)
Make It Monday

Have a great weekend and happy crafting!
Christy

23 comments:

Marjorie said...

Wow hunnie...I love this, your image is amazing and such beautiful colouring...your sky looks so real too!!
Beautiful card...
Hugs,
Marjorie
xx

Tonya said...

This is so beautiful. I love that image and you colored it beautifully.The backgound and tree branch are fabulous. Love your clouds too!

Gloria Shirr (purpleglo) said...

Adorable card Christy!! Saw this on MIM. My grandson loves giraffe's; so I would like to make one like this for him. Did you make the giraffe backgroud? It is awesome!! Love your coloring with Copics. Great job!! Have a terrific day!! Gloria

Visit my blog. I would love more followers.
http://purpleglocreations.blogspot.com

Sandy said...

I have a soft spot for giraffes, yours is lovely, fab colouring and love the co-ordinating background and that fab leafy branch.
Thanks for linking up with MIM this week.
Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
Sandy DT

shaz earl said...

Gorgeous card!

Thank you for joining in the fun at Ruby’s Rainbow challenges for our * Cute Animal * challenge

Hope you will join us again
Hugs Shaz x

Squirrel x said...

Just gorgeous hun, and your colouring is fabulous! Great idea with the branch too, he looks like he's chewing his lunch. We were able to feed a giraffe at the zoo last year, they have such soft noses! (unlike the elephant that just drooled on us) Hugs Sxx

coops said...

oh love this christy.hes a fab giraffe and i love your branches and backing paper :D

xx coops xx

Jo said...

Saw your card on MIM and just wanting to say its gorgeous and best of luck in the challenge. Jox

Basslady said...

this is so striking and fabulous!

i love giraffes so much...you made me happy with this awesome card!

thanks so much for playing along with us at Ruby’s Rainbow Challenges!

hugs and kisses from germany,
silvi xoxo

Sue said...

this is gorgeous, I love the giraffe and the backing paper looks fabulous

sue

Christina Hicks said...

Lol I like your rude giraffe.

Jennifer said...

Fantastic card, Christy. I absolutely adore Giraffes, and would love one as a pet. Your cheeky chappie is really well done, and that background paper is perfect. Love how you have done the branches too.

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog, and huge thanks for becoming a follower.

Jennifer. x

Unknown said...

Hi Christy,
I love your card! I'm really happy you did not go to kindergarten so you can share refreshing pieces like this will all of us. Your cloud technique is awesome and I will give it a try. Love the colored image and those spectacular branches!
Thanks for the sweet comment you left me. I saw this on MIM and couldn't resist a closer look. :)
Hugs,
Lisa xx

Ginger said...

Gorgeous Card! Great Coloring!

Maire Gamber said...

Wow oh wow oh wow! Super cute card. gorgeous coordination of image and DP and love the clouds! :D
Hugs,
Marie XX

Vicky said...

Hi Christy this is such a fun card, I love your colouring of the giraffe, so well coordinated with the paper. I'm sure he is trying to reach that branch for tea =)

hugs Vicky xxx

Purple mad Alison said...

I love this card and everything about it! Especially your clouds and the tree! Amazing creation.
Thanks for joining us over on ATCs With Attitude.
Hugs Alison x x

Lindsay Craftymonster81 said...

Beautiful, I love the image and the leaves are fab, thank you for joining in with the ATC's & Cards with attitude challenge
Lindsay xx

fatmonica said...

It's a lovely card,such a cute giraffe!Thanks for sharing it with us at ATCs and Cards with Attitude.

Anonymous said...

Love this just gorgeous. Hugs Sheila.x

Zippy said...

Gorgeous card and fabulous colouring. The image is wonderful! Xxx

Tracy Wray aka Trak said...

such a beautiful exciting card just love the paper used :)

hugs tracy xx

happyglitzygirl said...

Hi Christy, just wanted to say how gorgeous this card it, love your colouring and the tree branch is divine. Such a cute card. Blessings Hilde