...so here's my chance to post some art on Mom's digital fridge. I never went to kindergarten and my school didn't have art class,
so I never got to experience the classic childhood "Art Gallery Refrigerator". My mom's my best friend but I don't get to see her
as much as I want to these days, so this blog is my way of getting to share with her my love for card crafting.
Thanks for visiting and happy crafting!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Glass Slide Christmas Ornaments

Hello again!

This year for my 13 team members at work I decided to make ornaments. I used a different image for each of them.  These are my favorites:
 
3 Snowmen from Dustin Pike's DoodleDragonStudios.com

  
 (These are Pure Innocence, Meijen, and Pink Cat Studios digital images)

I printed out my images on 24 lb. paper and colored with Copics. It took a few tries to get the hang of not overinking as the thin paper bled much more than the smooth cardstocks I’ve been using for Copics coloring. Then I chose some DCWV papers for backers and glued the fussy-cut images down. I glittered with Stardust Stickles in most cases and some have twine or ribbon and snowflake positives from the Martha Stewart Aspen punch-around-the-page punches.  I created sentiments for the backs on the computer:

I created a sandwich of these between two 2x3 plain microscope slides. (I saw ornaments made with Memory Glass, but microscope slides are much cheaper!) I used Scor-Tape around all the edges and dipped it in embossing powder. I chose some ultrasparkly powders - Blue Blaze by Recollections and Red Dragon by Stamp-N Stuff. On some not pictured I also used an opaque white with silver sparkle called Winter Wonderland by Stamp-N Stuff. Then I heated the powder to melt and set aside on a craft sheet to cool. I had originally intended to put the hanging wire in the sandwich and to seal it in, but the wire made too much of a gap, so I fudged it a bit by using some Glossy Accents to glue it to the outer edge.

When that dried, I added some more glue and dipped in embossing powder, heat and set aside to cool. It’s a little bumpy, but not too noticeable, especially when it’s hanging on a tree. =)


I did add the ornaments to a card as “gift wrap”:

These cards were simply a Penny Black stamp, Pine Silhouettes, stamped in Evergreen Bough distress inks on a parchment cardstock.  I handwrote a Merry Christmas in red pen on each one as you see and tied the ornament on with red and white twine.

I fell in love with a couple of them, so I am going to have to take what I learned and make more… for ME! LOL

Challenges…
The Dustin Pike images only for Pike’s Playground challenge - Anything But a Card
Digital Tuesday – #141 Winter Wonderland
Crafting For All Seasons – #16 Christmas Projects
Glitter Geeks – #28 Anything Goes
Craft Your Days Away – #35 Snowmen
Hiding in My Craft Room – #25 Embossing
One Stop Crafting – #162 Christmas Sparkle
Paper Crafting Journey – Christmas Challenge


Well, I’m off to get ready for work. Fun times. Will be back with a couple last-minute cards and some other Christmas gifts! =)

Happy Crafting and Happiest of Holidays!
Christy

7 comments:

KraftyKoolKat said...

Wow!!! These are super. Thank you for joining us at CYDA and good luck.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Paula said...

Fabulous, they all look wonderful, what a brilliant idea! Thanks for joining us at Glitter Geeks this week, Paula :))

CraftyGirl said...

Super project. Thank you so much for sharing. I love the idea and may just have to use it in the future. Thank you for joining in all the great fun at "Pike's Playground" and I hope you join us again very soon.

TTFN,

CraftyGirl

s4rah said...

What an awesome idea, these are great! Thanks for joining us at Glitter Geeks this week!

Squirrel x said...

Oh these are just gorgeous hunny! Gosh you are clever. I'd not have the patience. Love 'em. Huge festive hugs, Sxxx

Nicola Jayne Saul said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the idea, thanks for joining us at the Glitter Geeks this week, Nicky X

Ginny said...

Gorgeous, Thanks for playing at "Pike's Playground" this week